This Ecotect tutorial explains how to display shadows on only particular objects in your model.
You will need about 25 minutes to complete this tutorial.
Training and Accreditation
Successfully completing this tutorial fulfills one of the practical skills required for completing Level 2 of the Shadows and Reflections training module.
To complete this tutorial, you will need access to the ExampleHouse.eco file located in the Examples folder of your Ecotect installation.
- Sometimes you need to be able to analyse shadows on particular surfaces in your model, or see what kind of shadows a particular object is casting. Ecotect allows you to control the display of shadows for particular objects in the model. Open the ExampleHouse.eco file for this part of the tutorial.
Open the ExampleHouse Ecotect model.
- To display shadows on particular objects or surfaces within your model, first select the objects you wish to isolate. For this example, select the highlighted items as shown in the following screenshot.
Select the objects in the model as shown.
- Go to the Shadow Settings panel. Under the Tag Object(s) As section of the panel, click the Shaded button. In the sub-menu that appears, select the Tag Selected Objects item.
Select the Tag selected objects menu item.
- If you now turn shadows on, Ecotect only displays the shadows cast onto the selected objects that have been tagged as shaded. As can be seen, for this particular time, date and location, the side wall of the green unit is completely in shade, the front wall is about half in shade, and the orange side wall is about 75% in shade.
Shadows only appear on selected objects.
- To reset the shadows display back to normal, click on the Shaded button again and then select the Clear Tag menu item.
Select Clear Tag to reset the shadows to normal.