This ECOTECT tutorial explains how to create new materials in the element library, using an existing material as a starting point.
You will need about 10 minutes to complete this tutorial.
Training and Accreditation
Successfully completing this tutorial fulfills one of the practical skills required for completing Level 3 of the Geometric Modelling training module.
To complete this tutorial, create a new file in ECOTECT.
- In ECOTECT, go to the Model » Element Library menu. This opens the Element Library dialgoue box.
The Element Library dialogue box.
- To create a new WALL material using an existing wall material as a starting point, click the Walls entry in the element list on the left side of the dialogue box. This will expand the Walls category, and display a list of all of the wall materials available in the current model. Select the DoubleBrickCavityPlaster material, and the properties of this material will be displayed.
Select DoubleBrickCavityPlaster from the Walls category.
- Change the name of the material from DoubleBrickCavityPlaster to 90CavityBrickRendered.
Change the material name to 90CavityBrickRendered.
- To change the dimensions of the wall, click on the Layers tab. For the Brick Masonry Medium layer entries, adjust the thickness to 90.
Change to brick layers to a thickness of 90.
- Select the Concrete & Screeds category. Select the Rendering material, and drag this into the layers list below, so that it is above the first Brick Masonry Medium layer. This new rendering layer should now appear on the outside skin.
Add a layer of rendering to the composition of the wall.
- Click the Calculate Thermal Properties button to update the material with the changes you have made. You may receive a warning message, warning you that some of the thermal properties cannot be calculated automatically. Click Ok.
Click Ok if this error message should happen to appear.
- The dialogue box will return to the Properties tab. Click the Add New Element button, and the new material will be added to the list of available wall materials.
Click the Add New Element button.
- The new material you have just created is now ready for use in your model. Click the Close button to return to the ECOTECT model.
The new material appears in the list of available materials.